Corporate Social Resposibility-is a process with the aim to embrace responsibility for the company's actions and encourage a positive impact through its activities on the environment, consumers, employees, communities, stakeholders and all other members of the public sphere who may also be considered as stakeholders.
The Walt Disney Company, since the first stages of the building of Disneyland, Walt was not just a creative visionary, but also a lover of the environment. Walt wanted his company to be environmentally conscious as well as socially responsible. Because of that goal, here at the Disneyland Resort there have been numerous reservations over the years that allow the company to be socially responsible.
One way that the company practices their social responsibilty is by referring to the Three R's whenever possible.
- Reduce: Waste Minimization
- ReUse: things that are no longer used within that park as well as office buildings are distributed to the community to avoid the lanfills
- the company also partners with "Clean the World"-a company that collects all of the used bath soaps from hotels and melts them down, runs them through a sanitation process and then distributes the new soaps to children around the world that can not afford bath products
- the vehicles on Main Street, the Trams, attraction boats, and buses are all ran on compressed Natural Gas
- the Monorail and Finding Nemo Subs are run on electromagnetic energy
The Disneyland Resort has its own weather station that is used to tell the sprinklers around the resort how to water the flower beds according to weather conditions...for example, the sprinklers run a little longer on hotter days and do not run at all when there is sufficient moisture in the air.
- the shower heads in the hotels on property all conserve water
- Disneyland is leading the Walt Disney Company in water conservation, it has reduced use of water by 20% in the past 5 years.
Designing the Environment
- newer buildings have solar tubes that are used to light the buildings during the day time
- Pervious Asphalt is used in the newer parking lots on resort property, the asphalt allows water to filter down down past the ground and is recylced
- Thermal Energy Storage Tank- stores water and chills it overnight to be used to run the air conditioning around the resort, but the tank allows for the water to be chilled at cooler times of the day that way less energy is used in all aspects